This great article I found in a 2008 edition of Women’s Health Magazine that showed 50 makeovers for a chicken breast. The chicken breast is one of the leanest parts of the bird, with approximately 23g of protein to just 1g of saturated fat and 460kJ (for a regular 100g breast).
Here’s a number of quick and easy recipes using just a few ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. You can multiply the recipe by two or three breasts, depending on the amount of people you are feeding, just don’t forget to multiple the rest of the ingredients accordingly.
Photo by Steamy Kitchen
Thanks for visiting Love Thy Kitchen. If you subscribe via email you’ll get updates straight to your Inbox, for free!
The basics: For a stir-fry cut a raw chicken breast into bite-sized pieces or thin strips. Cook in a non-stick frypan or wok over medium-high heat until browned (three to five minutes) then add one of the following groups of ingredients – in the order listed – and cook for five more minutes, stirring frequently.
1. Spicy Capsicum: 1 tbsp soy sauce; 2 tsp sesame oil; 1/2 cup red capsicum strips; 1/4 medium onion, cut into strips; 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
2. Vegie blend: 1 tsp hoisin sauce; 2 tsp sesame oil; 1/3 cup chopped carrots; 1/3 cup chopped celery; 1 sliced shallot; 2 tbsp chopped unsalted peanuts
3. Nutty asparagus: 1 tbsp soy sauce; 2 tsp sesame oil; 1/2 cup asparagus, chopped; 2 tbsp unsalted cashews
4. Sweet lemon: 1 tbsp soy sauce; 1 tbsp lemon juice; 1 tsp lemon zest; 1 tsp honey; 1 clove garlic, crushed; 1/2 cup snow peas
5. Asian brocolli: 1 whisked egg; 1/2 cup chopped brocolli; 1/4 medium onion, cut into strips; 1/2 tsp chilli flakes; 1 tbsp soy sauce
6. Hoisin snow peas: 1 whisked egg; 1/2 cup snow peas; 1/2 red capsicum strips; 1/4 onion, cut into strips; 1 tbs hoisin sauce
Tip: Sesame oil gives stir-fries a distrinctive flavour and is full of healthy unsaturated fats. (Get plain, not toasted).
The basics: Preheat oven to 170 degrees C and douse your chicken breast in sauce, rub it with spices, crust it with goodies, or stuff it with savouries. Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes.
Watery dips like salsa will do just fine in the oven. But thicker sauces, like barbecue, must be mixed with water or stock or you’ll be left with sticky, blackened char. Use a small baking dish with raised sides to keep the meat swimming.
7. Fiest: 1/2 cup salsa
8. Barbecue: 2 tbsp barbecue sauce; 2 tbsp water
9. Rich barbecue: 3 tbsp red wine vinegar; 1 tbsp barbecue sauce; 1 clove garlic, crushed
10. Caesar: 2 tbsp Caesar salad dressing; 2 tbsp water
11. Honey mustard: 2 tbsp Dijon mustard; 2 tbsp honey; 1 tsp olive oil
12. Garlic mustard: 2 tbsp chicken stock; 1 tbsp mustard; 1 clove garlic, crushed
13. Creamy mushroom: 2 tbsp low-fat sour cream; 4 button mushrooms; 2 tbsp water
14. Pesto: 2 tbsp pesto; 2 tbsp chicken stock
15. Sweet soy: 2 tbsp soy sauce; 1/4 cup tinned pineapple chunks with juice
16. Coconut curry: 3 tbsp chicken stock; 2 tbsp light coconut milk; 1/4 tsp curry powder
17. Sweet apple: 1/3 cup chicken stock; 1 tbsp maple syrup; 1 tbsp apple juice
18. Hot stuff: 2 tbsp chilli sauce; 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
19. Herbed citrus: 2 tbsp lemon juice; 2 tbsp orange marmalade; 1/4 tsp rosemary
Pound the daylights out of your chicken breasts with a meat tenderiser until it’s uniformly thin. Then arrange any of the following ingredients on the breast, roll it up, and secure it with toothpicks or kitchen twine. Easy.
20. Ham & cheese: 1 slice cheddar cheese; 2 slices deli ham; 1/4 tsp black pepper
21. Stromboli: 1 slice mozzarella cheese; 3 slices pepperoni; 3 fresh basil leaves
22. Pizza: 1 slice mozzarella cheese; 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes; 3 leaves fresh basil, chopped
23. Spinach & cheese: 1 handful baby spinach leaves, chopped; 1 tbsp crumbled blue cheese; 1 clove garlic, crushed
24. Deli style: 1 slice mozzarella cheese; 1 slice salami; 1 tbs chopped roasted red capsicum
25. Sun-dried tomato: 1 1/2 tbsp light ricotta cheese; 1 tbsp chopped sun-dried tomatoes; 1/4 tsp oregano
26. Mediterranean: 1 1/2 tbsp light ricotta cheese; 1 tbsp diced olives; 1/4 tsp lemon zest
27. Parmesan pesto: 1 tbsp pesto; 1 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese; 1/4 tsp black pepper
28. Broccoli & cheese: 1 1/2 tbsp light cream cheese spread; 3 florets of broccoli, cooked
29. Eggplant & cheese: 1/4 cup cooked diced eggplant; 1 1/2 tbsp mozzarella cheese
30. Bacon & tomato: 1/4 cup tinned diced tomatoes; 1 rasher bacon; 1 tsp crushed garlic
Rub these herd and spice mixtures evenly over each chicken breast, then lightly coat with cooking oil spray.
31. Chilli: 1/4 tsp each garlic powder, chilli powder, black pepper and oregano; salt to taste
32. Three-alarm fire: 1/4 tsp each black pepper, chilli powder, red chilli flakes, cumin, and chilli sauce
33. Tri-herb rub: 1/4 tsp each dried basil, rosemary and thyme; salt and pepper to taste
Crack an egg into a shallow bowl, whisk it, dip the chicken breast in it, and then roll the chicken in a plate of one of these coatings:
34. Nutty: 1/3 cup finely chopped nuts (try almonds, macadamias and cashews)
35. Italian: 1 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese; 1 tbsp breadcrumbs; 1/4 tsp each garlic powder, oregano, parsley flakes; a pinch of black pepper.
36. Faux fried: 1/2 cup crushed Corn Flakes or wholemeal breadcrumbs; salt and pepper to taste
Tip: To lock in juices, sear the breast in a hot frying pan for 1 to 2 minutes per side before baking.
The basics: Soak the chicken breast in these marinades for at least an hour. Heat a grill to medium heat and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side.
37. Booze infused: 2 tsp bourbon; 1 tsp Dijon mustard; 1/4 tsp black pepper
38. Sweet booze infused: 2 tsp bourbon; 1 tsp honey; 1 clove garlic, crushed
39. Red wine dressed: 2 tbsp red wine; 1 tsp barbecue sauce; 1 clove garlic, crushed
40. White wine dressed: 2 tbsp white wine; 1 clove garlic, crushed; 1/4 tsp thyme
41. Cumin & lime: 2 tbsp lime juice; 1/4 tsp cumin; 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
42. Lemon zest: 2 tbsp lemon juice; 1/4 tsp lemon zest; 1/4 tsp black pepper
43. Yoghurt coated: 2 tbsp plain yoghurt; 1/4 tsp dill
44. Ginger spiced: 2 tbsp orange juice; 1/4 tsp ground ginger; 1/4 tsp coriander
45. Curry yoghurt: 2 tbsp plain yoghurt; 1 tsp olive oil; 1/4 tsp curry powder
46. Margaritaville: 2 tbsp lime juice; 1 tsp olive oil; 1/4 tsp coriander
47. Soy powered: 1 tbsp soy sauce; 1 tsp sesame oil; 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
48. O-juiced: 2 tbsp orange juice; 1 tbsp hoisin sauce; 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
49. Balsamic herb: 2 tbsp vinaigrette; 1/4 tsp rosemary
50. Hawaiian punch: 2 tbsp pineapple juice; 1 clove garlic, crushed; 1/4 tsp black pepper
Tip: Before grilling, mix ingredients in a zip-lock bag, add chicken, shake and refrigerate.
How do you makeover your chicken breast?